More often than not every sane person in this world and in the back of his mind dreams about well-made expensive jewelry. Yes, this is probably the greatest fantasy among both women and men. There are many sad stories, describing people who have even lost their sleep and gone crazy over it.
No doubt that precious adornments, whether they are small or big, bold or intricate, delicate or showy, can hardly make each of us indifferent. The fancier and rarer some jewelry piece is, the more expensive it becomes. But the key thing here is the unique story making the most expensive jewelry (and not very) extremely mysterious and charming
What s in the Word Jewelry ? From A to Z
- Jewelry has always been used for personal adornment, showing status since ancient times.
- There are various materials for jewelry manufacture, such as gold, silver, platinum (precious metals), diamond (and other gemstones), as well as amber, coral, beads and shells. Normally, the metal combined with a gemstone is the most common material for jewelry. Diamonds are regarded to be the most expensive jewelry.
- The term jewellery or jewelry unites numerous decorative items, including rings, earrings, brooches, necklaces, and bracelets, which may be attached either to the body or to the clothes.
- The word itself is derived from jewel that was anglicized from jouel and jocale , meaning a plaything .
- Jewelry is widely used for 4 main reasons:
(1) functional either to fix clothing/hair in place or to tell the time, if these are watches;
(2) marking the social or personal status, as with wedding rings;
(3) ethnic, religious or social affiliation;
(4) protection in the form of amulets and magical wards.
Why is Finished Jewelry So Expensive?
- First and foremost, because the materials are rare. For example, the price of gold is over $500 per ounce.
- Secondly, some jewelry components (e.g. diamonds) have artificially set prices due to a monopoly of controlling the commercial cost.
- Thirdly, there may be much labor, which goes into making the certain item.
- Finally, there are a lot of companies involved between the consumer and the source (that have to make a profit).
Cost or Appearance: Which Is More Important?
How much does your jewelry cost? How nice does your jewelry look? These are the two essential questions, in fact. But if you get affordable earrings looking the same as the ones for $10,000, will you be interested? It s a matter of common knowledge that solid gold is expensive. Actually, you can see it only on the outside. So, why pay for the inside gold that cannot be seen or touched? As you can see, it depends: to try gold-filled wire or not. The same sort of thing is with rare diamonds: you should not support the diamond monopoly. Simulated diamonds or cubic zirconia can boast of the same optical properties. In other words, whether to go to the expensive jewelry stores or to the medium-priced specialized shops is up to you and nobody else!