Over the last years there was a revolution in concrete paint, and today it isn t just of grey color that we all used to. From now and on you can easily find concrete floor paint in a pretty wide range of different colors that can make any surface much more attractive than it used to be.
It is possible to use a contrasting color as a kind of a border to the current color or paint designs with stencils. If your imagination is wide, you can pick the color you like and make your place more attractive, comfortable or bright. It is up to you to decide. But how do you make your choice right?
Painting the concrete
Concrete is probably one of the most widespread construction material. Durability, resistance to atmospheric actions these qualities are necessary at modern construction. Missing only one thing – aesthetics. It is unlikely someone from us will want to live in the sad gray house. There is a question what to do? The simplest and available decision is to paint.
It should be noted at once that paints for concrete are divided, first of all, into two categories: for external work and for internal work. That is before getting paint for concrete it is necessary to know, in or out of the room it will be used.
Secondly, paints on concrete differ on type, there are paints on a water basis and on the basis of solvent.
Now let’s understand this variety in brief. So, paints on concrete for internal works. Certainly, paints on a water basis here enjoy the greatest popularity, they are ecologically safe, and have no unpleasant smell which is peculiar to paints on solvents. Absolutely all manufacturers of paints and varnishes produce this type of paint.
Here are some well known companies on the market:
- Valspar American Paint (Since 1806)
- Benjamin Moore Paints (Since 1883)
- Sherwin-Williams Paint (Since 1866)
- Pratt & Lambert Paint (Since 1849)
- Dutch Boy (Since 1907)
- Behr Paint
- Dunn-Edwards Paints
It is impossible to list all water paints on concrete, probably. But to manage only water paints even during the work indoors it is unlikely to turn out. If it is necessary to paint, for example, a floor here it is necessary to paints on solvents. Many consumers, doubting (it is necessary to notice absolutely in vain) in firmness of water paints, use paints for concrete on solvents in places with big possability, for example entrances of houses or any public places.
Now let’s go outside. Coloring of concrete facades is one of the most inexpensive and simple ways to give surfaces some esthetic appearance and at the same time to protect concrete from influence of the atmospheric effects. For coloring of facades in the conditions of a temperate climate most often use paints on a water basis, they dry faster and easier to use. But for harsh climate, solvent-based concrete paints are preferable, because they are more resistant to temperature extremes, high humidity, and chemical exposure. Besides among these paints is such with which it is possible to work at a negative temperature.
In addition, there are paints for concrete of the increased wear resistance. If it is necessary to paint a floor or walls in any shops, in a warehouse or car service, it is best of all to use two-component paints. These are paints, as a rule, on an epoxy or polyurethane basis, they perfectly maintain solvents or acids, and strong mechanical loading (wheels of cars). They also with pleasure are used by ordinary consumers most often when coloring floors or walls in garages.
So here are some tips that will help to understand the variety of colors for concrete and make the right choice.
What s the Best Concrete Paint?
It is really hard to say. The best paint depends on the floor type that should be painted. If you are about to work in a garage, it ll need a different paint than the floor in your house. The variant that is great for many surfaces is epory paint, as it is easy to apply, durable and features waterproofing capabilities.
Types of Concrete Floor Paint
While choosing the right type of paint, you are to keep in mind that the wrong choice leads to cracked surface. Try to refuse from water-based concrete paint as it does not adhere well. Professionals state that the oil-based options are the best solutions. We’ve already mentioned epoxy paints. Though they are popular and reliable, they should be applied by a professional.
You can pay attention to a latex paint. Finished with 3 coats of high-gloss varnish, it becomes a good variant. One more option is concrete stain that is used for basement flooring. This type of paint is easily applied with a spray, which makes the entire process fast. Some people spray several layers of one or different colors and add several layers of sealer.
Choosing Concrete Paint Colors
- Basements. If you are about to paint the floor in your basement, you are to remember that light concrete paint colors bring more light to the room. Besides, they are able to give a rather clean and uncluttered look, which is very important as well.
- Hallways. In this case you should better choose the colors that are in harmony with the ceiling and wall. Pick cool browns, grays or charcoal shades.
- Bathrooms and Kitchens. Painting floors in these rooms opt for brighter hues that will reflect light from electrical fixtures and windows, adding a pretty nice glow to the room. What shades to give preference to? Pay attention to brick red and russet brown, deep gold and olive green, blue and medium grey.
- Children’s rooms. As these are usually the places, where children spend much time playing and having fun, choose vivid concrete paint colors (never use red, as it can aggravate hyperactivity children and lead to aggression in some children). Why not incorporate small stenciled or border stripe area, if red is the favorite color?
- Bedrooms. This is where you have rest after a long hard day. This is why it is important to choose the right colors for its floor: deep violet, forest green and royal blue are the best options. If you like warmer patterns, opt for yellow, pink and peach. Make sure the concrete paint you choose matches the primary color, but has a different shade, making your place wrapped-up and cozy. Some choose green and brown, which are also a nice variant, as these colors are relaxing ones. Eventually, it is up to you to decide what atmosphere should prevail in your bedroom.
Concrete floor paint allows being more creative, while decorating your place, and helps to save money. They say, such paints bring life and brightness to any room. Experiment and choose the concrete paint that will make your house exceptional.